ONN #3 2026.10.1
Pondering with Others
Joy comes in different packages for each of us. For me, nothing brings more joy and fulfillment than what I experienced yesterday.
Living in Holland surrounded by Hope College, and teaching at Calvin University, I have opportunity to meet and interact with students from both institutions. And one way or another, I meet and get to know some who are passionate about changing the world.
So yesterday, three Hope students and three from Calvin gathered at my home for Sunday lunch and conversation. Topic of conversation: Liberation theology. What spurred it? Calvin University has a newly formed student-faculty group (over 180 strong) with typically 30-40 meeting weekly which discusses ideas of historical revolutionaries from Jesus to Karl Marx. And following the example of their models, their reading and discussion is balanced by outreach in the Grand Rapids community serving those in need. Two of my guests, both from Costa Rica, initiated the group, and have dedicated themselves to it – to the extent that one gave up his starring role on Calvin’s swim team to focus on this instead. Impressive.
And the Hope students brought equally impressive credentials and perspective, including two who are fervent Roman Catholics enjoying the vibrant Catholic community that Hope College offers. One of them, with a quad-major of mathematics, chemistry, Chinese, and philosophy shows the breath of interest of all of these students.
Our four-hour discussion focused on: How can we actually change the world for the better? What should be the balance of reading (providing historical context and motivation) and actual activity? Margaret Mead famously said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” Indeed, it was the committed Freedom Riders taking buses through southern states risking death and imprisonment who inspired the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr, who convinced Attorney General Bobby Kennedy, who in turn spurred his brother to put civil and human rights high on the packed agenda of his administration. This, of course, led to Lyndon Johnson’s landmark legislation.
All of which shows that, yes, change is perhaps initiated from the bottom up, but in order to become permanent and widespread, requires top-down action as well.
Good stuff! See why I claim that yesterday was a day worth living?
But almost as enjoyable as such a conversation is the opportunity to share such inspiring experiences with fellow community members. And that I have been doing for almost a dozen years. About that time, I asked Sarah Leach if she’d be interested in me writing a column, “Something to Ponder . . . “. In my first column I observed,
“Are conversations about ideas, opinions and beliefs worth the trouble? What’s the value in reflecting on our own beliefs and learning about others? Is it a sign of hubris to attempt to change another’s opinion? Do beliefs even matter all that much? Isn’t what a person does more important than what s/he believes? The English author and theologian G.K. Chesterton, who was a significant influence on C.S. Lewis, had strong opinions here. He wrote, “There are some people, and I am one of them – who think that the most practical and important thing about a man is his view of the universe.”
How interesting. If beliefs matter that much, then what should be our reaction when our beliefs are challenged? One extreme is given by the judge, who hearing the prosecutor make his case, agreed, “You’re right!” Then when the defense submitted her argument, responded again, “You’re right!” When the bailiff explained that they couldn’t both be correct, the judge exclaimed, “You’re right too!”
But certainly, the other extreme has its dangers also. I hope that I have a richer understanding of the world now than I did as a teenager. Should I then resolutely hold to the beliefs that I had then?
Aristotle may have found the golden middle ground with the attributed claim, “The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain an idea without accepting it.” Intriguing! Approach a new idea with the willingness to consider it honestly, and be open to modifying one’s views. Seems like a good quality for one to have. Is this what Aristotle meant by an educated mind?”
And so, fellow community members and Ottawa News Network readers, I look forward to sharing monthly ponderings with you for thoughtful reflection and response. Here’s to the future . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment